As a parent, it is critical that we help our children with their health at every turn. We cannot keep them safe from a few noticeable dangers only to leave them completely vulnerable to hidden ones. Germs seek to disrupt their growth in many ways, including their oral health. We must remember to care for their teeth and gums until they can come of age to do so themselves in a safe, responsible, and effective manner. Here are a few tips to remember:
– Make sure your children consume healthy food and drink options.
– Use toothpaste that has the ADA Seal of Acceptance. For children less than 3 years of age, use a dab of toothpaste roughly the size of a grain of rice. For children that are 3-6 years old, use a dab of toothpaste roughly the size of a pea.
– If the child is unable to brush their own teeth effectively, brush their teeth for them twice a day approximately 2 minutes each time, or as directed by their dentist.
– A child’s first tooth begins to break the skin at 6-10 months of age. Be sure to bring your child in to visit Dr. Timothy Yu no later than the child’s first birthday.
– For children between the ages of 3-6, supervise the children to ensure they do not swallow the toothpaste.
– Do not share eating utensils between yourself and your child. Doing so can easily pass harmful cavity-causing bacteria to the child.
Our children are our future, so we must teach them everything we can. Dr. Timothy Yu at Prime Family Dental Care is here to help with you and your child’s oral health care needs. For more information, or to book an appointment, please call us at 602-237-8880 to get in touch with a member of our staff. You can also visit our office in Laveen, Arizona. Don’t wait until it’s too late. The future of great oral healthcare is here. Come greet it with a smile!